Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Katakana Analysis Draft



In our Japanese class, when we first learned about Katakana, the primary usage that was described was the use of Katakana in foreign and loan words. However, through this Katakana Analysis project, it is clear that Katakana has more symbolic meaning since it is also used in various mediums today in Japan, from commercials to newspapers. Two usages of Katakana, therefore, caught my attention.

First of all, in a street sign that says "Do Not Throw Away Trash" (ゴミをすてないで), it's interesting that Katakana is used even when there is a hiragana version of it (ゴミ vs. ごみ).
(http://eigo-wakaran.sakura.ne.jp/img1859.jpg)
As textbooks ambiguously explain, Katakana is also used to show emphasis. However, it is not very clear as to what type of emphasis Katakana usually brings. In this case, Katakana brings attention to the word trash as a means to promote environment-friendly practices. Even in the physical appearance of the sign, the Katakana is enlarged. The straight lines also serve a sharp contrast to the kanji and hiragana. Perhaps there is a physical aspect that contributes to the emphasis that Katakana brings.

Another example is from Vivi Japanese magazines. In this magazine, there is a loanword レトロガール. In this case, even though it is a loanword, there is some sort of emphasis that is portrayed through Katakana. Namely, Retro Girl in Katakana exhibits a rather modernized and "retro" tone. Historically, foreign words have been associated with modern, thereby, promoting this magazine to a younger crowd. Again, the physical appearance of Katakana also contributes to the sense of modernity.

Overall, in textbook explanations, there seems to be an emphasis on Katakana's usage of replacing foreign words. However, there are various and ambiguous means of explaining a certain essence of Katakana. For example, in one textbook, Katakana is merely described as "normally used for writing loanwords and foreign names." Meanwhile, another textbook mentions that it is more "angular" and is "restricted to loanwords, onomatopoeic words, and words the writer wishes to emphasize." Nevertheless, there seems to be a certain lack of analysis to its physical attributions in relation to the type of emphasis and tone Katakana visually (and aurally) relates to the reader. Perhaps this unspoken modernized tone is rather controversial (as it admits the relationship between foreign and modernized) or perhaps the tone is rather ambiguous and open to interpretation itself.


6 comments:

  1. Great analysis! よくできました。

    The impression which I received from the Kanji,Hiragana & Katakana are each different.

    I feel that Katakana has the image of metallic or sharpness or hardness etc...
    On the contraly, Hiragana has the image of something round or soft or gentleness ...
    And Kanji has the image of seriousness or earnestness...
    I think most of Japanese think so too.

    So, when I write a letter to my friends in Japanese I choose character to write each words very carefully so that I can tell my friends what I feel or how I feel in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I definitely agree that there is a lot of ambiguity in using katakana but I guess that is where its beauty lies! :) I think it's really interesting how they used katakana for the "do not throw away" thrash sign! I am guessing that they wanted a lot of emphasis for this request. Good job! Let's keep on exploring katakana together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While as you say katakana is sometimes used to seem modern, "retro" means going back to the past--the opposite of modern. Perhaps the magazine is trying to portray the "Retro Girl" as fashionable even today.

    I really like your thoughts on the appearance of katakana v. hiragana; what impression does the angularity of katakana give, the impression that many authors seem to enjoy employing? It's definitely very interesting to think about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. あなたの分析はとても思慮深く、詳細です。私はそれを本当に好きだ。I totally agree with your analysis of Kataganaused to show emphasis as well as to replace foreign words---I also think that's the main function of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true that there are no strict rules regarding the use of katakana today, but that's also one of the most fascinating parts of the language. Katakana does indeed appear a lot in fashion magazines--perhaps this has to do with the fact that katakana, through its association with foreign words, conveys a sense of modernity and thus adds an additional dimension of sophistication and edge to the ideas/object itself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your analysis that"Katakana has more symbolic meaning". Among your examples, what is especially interesting for me is the usage of "ゴミ”since I found in most cases ゴミis used in Katakana even though it does have its Hiragana form. When I googled ゴミ and ごみ separately, I found more results with ゴミ and most of the usage seemed irrelevant to "emphasis". I'm not quite sure about the usage of ゴミ, but in my opinion the preference of ゴミto ごみ seems more like a habitual pattern.

    ReplyDelete